How to join a Part P scheme provider and become an NICEIC domestic installer

Government Approved Part P scheme providers, like the NICEIC, are designed to make sure electricians are working to the current Building & Wiring Regulations and safety standards for domestic dwellings.

By joining a Part P scheme provider, registered electricians are able to sign off notifiable work and certify that it meets set regulations.

The first thing is to establish what kind of electrical work you will be undertaking, to see if it is financially viable to join one of the Government approved Part P Scheme providers.

Since April 2013 Approved Document Part P has substantially changed, allowing electricians to do more work without the need to notify the work via Building Regulations. The only things that need notifying are:

  • Installing a completely new circuit
  • Replacing of a new circuit board/consumer unit
  • House rewire
  • Alteration or addition in special locations to an existing circuit (bathroom)

So it is important to look into what work you will be doing first, before you start looking at joining any of the Part P schemes.

how do i join a part p scheme provider - niceic domestic installer

To share our ‘How Do I Join a Part P Scheme Provider’ infographic on your website, simply copy and paste the embed code below:

How can I join a Part P competent persons scheme?

There are obviously huge benefits to joining one of the schemes, especially if you are doing notifiable work, as listed above.

The two main bodies to consider are:

Once you have completed your training and achieved your relevant qualifications you will be in a position to take a closer look at what the scheme providers are offering. Both the NICEIC and ELECSA’s membership fee per annum for Domestic Installers currently stand at £445 + VAT. However, if you choose to train with us, we offer a £50 introductory discount on your membership!

This fee includes a year’s membership, an initial online assessment and the cost of an onsite practical assessment, to make sure you are competent to join the scheme. Typically the NICEIC and ELECSA will send you list of work that qualifies for an on-site assessment. The most common piece of work for an initial assessment is two new circuits.

After you have completed the NICEIC or ELECSA application forms, you will be sent a link to complete an Online Knowledge Assessment. This is the first stage of assessments and is a multiple choice, open book test to ensure you are competent and knowledgeable, in order to proceed to the next stage of becoming registered.

Upon passing your Online Knowledge Assessment, you will be sent an assessment visit date and a Part P pre-assessment list. This list guides you through the essential items you need to get ready and have with you on the day of your practical assessment.

Part P pre-assessment list

  1. Technical Reference Documents – The latest edition of the Wiring Regulations BS 7671, IEE On-Site Guide, Building Regulations Part P and Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at work regulations 1989.
  2. Documentation – Health and Safety policy, Risk Assessments, Quotation forms, and complaints log – The scheme provider will issue you example documents for all of these.
  3. Instruments and Test Equipment – The scheme provider will check that you have suitable equipment and it is calibrated.
  4. Certification and Reporting – You will be checked to ensure you have filled in your certification documents correctly for the installation jobs you are being assessed on.
  5. Insurance – A minimum of £2 Million Public Liability.

Part P Assessment

On the day of your assessment, which typically can last from 3-5 hours, the inspector is looking to make sure you are competent, safe and do not present a danger to yourself or the public. They will be looking for the quality of your completed insulation work, ensuring you have taken into account cable sizing, volt drop, RCD Protection and reference methods.

The majority of the visit will be focusing on your testing procedures and you will be asked to demonstrate or talk through various tests. You will also have to show a completed schedule of test results for the circuits you are being assessed on.

There are no set tests you will be asked to perform as the inspector is looking for your full understanding of all dead and live tests. dead and live tests

Most probably you will also be asked some questions related to either the On-Site Guide or Part P of the Building Regulations, which again are designed to test your knowledge.  If however you are not sure of the answer, it is perfectly alright to refer to your reference books to find the answer as that is what they are there for after all.

After your assessment

If you successfully navigate your way through the installation work, circuit testing, schedule of test results, you will have passed the assessment and are now part of a Part P Scheme and able to sign off all your own electrical work.

As well as being signed onto a scheme, you will also be placed on a central electricians register as registered, competent electrician. Customers can put in their post code and look up local registered electricians in their area, which gives you more opportunity for work.

Want to know more?

If you would like to know more about joining a Part P scheme provider, then please contact us or take a look at our Part P scheme provider FAQ’s.

Contact us!